Friday, February 5, 2010

My thoughts on delinquency

Hello void that is the internet. This is my first time ever blogging so just keep that in mind. I don't expect anyone to actually follow my blog because I can only imagine how boring it would be to read this. My blog is going to be all about my life and my thoughts. Even though my life is extremely average, I still love it because it is mine.
As a sociology major I like to think about what my little sister, who is an english major, would consider odd. Like, for example, today in my juvenile delinquency class we were discussing a couple sociology philosophers that graduated from University of Chicago, Shaw and McKay. Now, they have some interesting thoughts on delinquency. A theory that they have is that the poor are more likely to commit a crime. I somewhat agree with that theory. I think poor people are most likely to steal what they don't have for obvious reasons. Actually, come to think of it, I don't like the wording of it. I believe that the poor are at higher risk of commiting a crime because crime does pay. Why does anyone commit a crime in the first place? Crime fufills pleasue. If crime was excuciatingly painful would it be commited on a regular basis? Obvioulsy not.
At the end of class we were left with a question, are delinquents all bad or is there good deep down inside them. In other words, is there any hope for the juvenile delinquents to live normal lives in society? I believe there is good in everyone and sometimes people just get addicted to the bad. I don't think there is anyone who is born bad or good. Children are born innocent and ignorant therefore they learn by living life. If a child is introduce to crime, especially at a young age, they will become addicted. The younger they are the more addicted they become.
Anyway, I can go on and on but I think it is time for me to get back to my religion case study on Wicca.

No comments:

Post a Comment